Dear White Queer People:
If you see a post about racism
and your immediate response is
"OMFG THAT’S JUST LIKE WHAT I EXPERIENCE WITH MY QUEERNESS"
You are actually basically actively perpetuating imperialistic ideologies.
Essentially, you are telling a person of color that THEIR EXPERIENCES ARE YOURS.
Here’s the deal:
All Oppression is Not Equivalent.
Literally these are different reasons for being treated like shit and thus the treatment and experiences varies.
Let me give you a little mind blowing thought:
QUEER PEOPLE OF COLOR EXIST.
I AM ONE OF THEM.
And I can tell you this:
The racist bullshit I deal with every day
Is not the same
As the heterosexist homophobic shit I deal with every day.
So do not come up to me and say
"OMFG I FEEL YOU I KNOW EXACTLY WHAT YOU’RE TALKING ABOUT."
And while we’re at it, no, you don’t get to say the n-word, or “chink,” or any other racial slur just because you’re gay.
A queer as fuck Chinese woman who is sick and tired of this bullshit
….I am dying right now. ded.
1. There is an enormous difference between being attracted to someone and actually wanting to fuck them
2. Personal and sexual attraction draw from many factors, including physical appearance
3. Saying “I don’t think straight girls are my type” has actually nothing to do with whether or not I think straight girls look a certain way and everything to do with the fact that I don’t want to fuck or date a person that wouldn’t want to fuck or date me
4. I also feel like this is a defense mechanism on my part because I can’t count how many fucking straight women have come up to me like “OMFG I KNOW YOU LIKE PUSSY BUT I’M SO STRAIGHT I’M SO STRAIGHT BUT LIKE TELL ME IF I’M FUCKABLE TELL ME IF I’M GORGEOUS REASSURE ME WOULD YOU FUCK ME PLEASE” and that’s just so disgusting like no. I will not fuck you even if I find your looks physically attractive. Why? Because you are straight and you don’t actually want me to answer that question; you want me to tell you that you’re hot and stroke your ego. And then when you get drunk enough and want to have some lesbian fling or some shit, you’ll come to me and insist I make out with you in front of a bunch of dudes. I am not your experiment. You do not get to put me on the spot about my sexuality.
5. It actually makes my vagina crawl to think about having sex with somebody who doesn’t want to have sex with me. That’s how I view straight girls. They. don’t. want. to. have. sex. with. another. woman. How does this make me not queer?
6. lmao “but women come in all shapes and sizes so you’re stereotyping based on looks” what the ever loving fuck. at this point, I’m completely done with most of mainstream feminist tumblr. If I want to date a woman, I want to date a woman who is attracted to other women .I want to fuck a woman who is also attracted to other women. And it’s offensive as fuck for you to say to me, “You’re not really queer if you don’t want to occasionally fuck straight girls.”
This was originally a response to the whole “Britney Spears had a 55 hour marriage but gay ppl “violate the sanctity of marriage” thing, but I can’t find the original post so here you go: Commentary
GAY PEOPLE SHOULD BE ABLE TO VIOLATE THE SANCTITY OF MARRIAGE TOO WITHOUT IT BEING AN ISSUE.
Because here’s the thing:
Domestic Violence and other things that can destroy marriages are NOT HETEROSEXUAL EXCLUSIVE.
And there’s a lot of pressure within the LGBT community to not talk about domestic violence and divorce and all that, because we “don’t want to add to the negative image of queer people.”
Which is bullshit, really. Because it buys into the whole “model minority” hivemind bullshit.
The point is:
Marriage isn’t about sanctity. It’s about love, financial benefits, and stability. If your marriage isn’t providing you with all of that, it’s not good enough. If you’re not allowed to have those specific marriage-related things, that’s not good enough either, because you’re not being given the same opportunities.
That being said, marriage and divorce rights go hand in hand. Gay people should be able to talk about divorce, too. They should be able to talk about wanting out in relationships. They shouldn’t have to be perfect all the time, and they AREN’T perfect all the time. That’s reality.
I’ve been doing a lot of policy research on this subject and it BUGS, BUGS, BUGS me that queer people (particularly QPOC) feel like talking about this shit would make them “traitors to the cause.”
Nominated myself to be my school’s OUTlaw (Lambda legal equivalent, org for lgbtq+ law students,) 1L representative. Mainly entails doing chalkboard writing in classrooms of when meetings are, learning how an org functions, and whatever work the 2L and 3L board members don’t want to do. There were two spots and three nominations.
So the pres. said “Okay, well, each of you talk about why you want to be a 1L rep and talk about your background, etc.” Like, right then.
I felt really put on the spot, but J and M, the other nominees, went first at least. I didn’t have the experience with LGBTQ orgs and leadership that they did, probably because I only came out two years ago. Then the vote. They literally had us with our heads down, about to do a count of who raised their hands for whom, when this other guy, I think a 1L from another section, interrupted.
“Why don’t we just let there be three 1L reps? They’re all in different sections, and the different sections make it hard for them to communicate to the whole 1L class.”
So there was a majority vote on allowing there to be three 1L reps instead of two.
Thank you, interrupting classmate. I wouldn’t have wanted any of us to lose out on the chance :)
Oh my god
this is literally what happened to me
and now I’m doing things where I’m meeting VIPS and governors and shit
share the experience yo!
YOU WILL NEED ALL THE HELP YOU CAN GET ORGANIZING SHIT LIKE THIS.