And this is why I encourage PoC and other marginalized groups to create ad support their own media outlets that will show their stories. Because cause as you all can see its a problem when we all ask to be included.Everything about this post is ridiculous and should be ignored ^^^^^^^…. .but I just reblogged it…fuck
Okay I’m sorry, but I just get really peeved when people get legitimately pissed off at characters that aren’t black/asian/female/etc.
Whoa dude, calm down.
Not everything in the world has to be politically correct.
Personally I think we…
Sorry, but I don’t think I’m being ridiculous. While I do enjoy diversity and I do like seeing well developed minority characters, I don’t think it needs to ALWAYS be present in EVERYTHING. Because, in the end, you can’t include every single group (without having to often re-write or rearrange stories) in something and there will always be someone crying out for blood due to not being represented.
On the other hand, including white people in everything is TOTALLY NECESSARY because THEY’RE ALWAYS THERE ANYWAYS AND OTHERWISE IT’S JUST A WEIRD MARGINALIZED GROUP THING, NOT SOMETHING FOR THE MAINSTREAM.
I didn’t say that. Don’t twist what I’m saying around. :/
Nope, you just implied it by saying that you didn’t think POC had a place everywhere. Because, you know, it’s SO HARD to include them when you can just write white characters way more easily and cast white characters way more easily and present them as the default way more easily.
What I am saying is that characters of every single race, orientation, religious affiliation, etc can’t possibly be represented in every single TV/movie/book/whatever. It’s not possible. Because even if something does have a good POC, for example, it likely won’t have a character of a different group represented and then that group that is not represented will complain about not being represented.
And yes, while a lot of media does have white characters, there are series that do have POCs and whatnot in them as well, even as main characters. Avatar The Last Airbender and its sequel The Legend of Korra, Community (although it started off with a white male protagonist, it’s arguable that Abed and Troy get more material on the show than Jeff does now), Runaways (has an asian leader to the team and used to have an african american one in the past), and there’s more shows/comics/movies/books that have POCs in important roles. Sure, sometimes they aren’t main characters, but that shouldn’t negate their impact on a story. And yes, there can be more exposure for people of different ethnicities, orientations, and whatnot. However, just because something doesn’t represent every group out there doesn’t mean it’s prejudiced or has a message of such.
Except that most casting calls in Hollywood specify “white” characters for almost anything that doesn’t requires some form of stereotypes. Community? Really? that’s an example of diversity? Fuck that. Community is FILLED with racist tropes, which definitely underlines my main point:
You don’t feel like POC characters are relevant enough unless their ethnicity is somehow specified in a plot. Whereas white characters are clearly the default and should be used unless otherwise clearly stated.
It DOES negatively impact a story. It DOES negatively impact the way people view things. If you don’t understand why people of color need equal representation on the television, then you clearly have no concept of what equality really means, nor why it’s important.
Because honestly, it’s ridiculously offensive to say that POCs really don’t matter and that unequal representation and erasure (hell, I can name you SO MANY MORE movies that white wash characters than actually use POC. 21. Avatar, the Last Airbender. The Hunger Games. Harry Potter.)
You don’t get it. You refuse to get it. And you refuse to understand that the opinions of POCs are valid when it comes to how they are represented in the media. In saying that it’s stupid for us to care, you’re saying our opinions don’t matter. You’re saying we’re making too big of a deal about something that CLEARLY IS UPSETTING.
You’re ridiculous and delusional. And full of apologist bullshit.
Oh geez, are you serious?
>Except that most casting calls in Hollywood specify “white” characters for almost anything that doesn’t requires some form of stereotypes.
How do you know this? Are you an actor? Probably not, but I am, and this statement is crock.
>Community? Really? that’s an example of diversity?
Yes. Either you’ve never watched the show, or your sense of comedy is too low level to comprehend it. Most likely, your exposure focuses near-exclusively on the one character of Pierce Hawthorne (played by Chevy Chase) who often makes racist or narrow-minded remarks, completely ignoring the fact that he is the butt monkey of the main cast, a mocking parody of the “rich old geezer” character type, and is usually an antagonist in plot lines involving conflict between the main cast.
You picked some shitty examples of white-washing, by the way. Avatar is a fantasy series with fantasy races only loosely based on about three, maybe four real ones. The Hunger Games did not specify ethnicity. Harry Potter? Are you kidding me?
If you feel negativity coming from a work for the SOLE REASON that it does not include a specific ethnicity in its cast, then you need to sit down. Go find something else to read/watch/play. Just because it isn’t shoved down your throat by American mainstream doesn’t mean it isn’t out there, or even that it isn’t popular.
I’m just going to say that yes, I am an actor, yes, I do get casting calls, yes, I do have friends in Hollywood who are people of color, and YES, it is INCREDIBLY HARD for people to break the race barrier in Hollywood.
Also: the rest of your argument is tired, cliche, and has already been addressed numerous times. I don’t have time for this bullshit anymore. It’s boring. Do your own research.
- imsuggestingcoconutsmigrate reblogged this from shappeyhappy and added:
- 1-800-jim-kirk likes this
- shappeyhappy reblogged this from stopwhitewashing
- that-is-like-so-racist reblogged this from reverseracism and added:
- littlehispanicspiders likes this
- kiotsukatanna reblogged this from stopwhitewashing
- daughterofmulan reblogged this from alex-wilder and added:
- queensthief likes this
- linecolourpattern likes this
- likespoliticsandprettythings likes this
- forgetpolitics reblogged this from klingonrealitytelevision
- ittoryu-iai reblogged this from stopwhitewashing
- crackerbitchculler likes this
- zettaiizetsumei reblogged this from adrawrable
- adrawrable reblogged this from isitscary
- invisiblelad likes this
- cosmicrubric reblogged this from lightspeedsound
- themidnightproblem likes this
- rikki-barnes reblogged this from alex-wilder and added:
- alex-wilder reblogged this from lightspeedsound and added:
- niklovr likes this
- coorio reblogged this from daughterofmulan
- hieroglyphical likes this
- anirresistiblysexyperson reblogged this from stopwhitewashing
- derabright reblogged this from stopwhitewashing
- medeaismyfavourite likes this
- spikeghost reblogged this from flyingpandapop
- zoetropeslegs reblogged this from zakeno
- cherrycolouredx likes this
- stopwhitewashing reblogged this from isitscary
- theymightbebeatles likes this
- klingonrealitytelevision reblogged this from alex-wilder and added:
- festivepotato likes this
- lightspeedsound reblogged this from alex-wilder and added:
- grimmygrin likes this
- videogameheart likes this
- aishasuggs likes this
- peapodkid likes this
- stinkytofumaiden reblogged this from alex-wilder and added:
- reverseracism reblogged this from lightspeedsound
- gorgeous-rainbowcat likes this
- hydri reblogged this from rikki-barnes and added:
- ifyougiveagirlapencil reblogged this from lightspeedsound
- supremedork reblogged this from tinyspacebabe
- supremedork likes this
- green-street-politics reblogged this from lightspeedsound
- knitandstuff reblogged this from reverseracism