Was she going to slap you because you never in any way made him gay in the actual books, taking zero risks/doing absolutely nothing for gay characters in literature, and only announcing your “authorial intent” afterwards for a cheap shot at looking like an ~ally~
Gay people are just normal people. We are not told about any of the Hogwarts professors love lives, other than Snape, and it would be completely out of character for Dumbledore to walk around telling everyone about his sexuality.
Did you want her to make him dress in glittery platform boots, a crop top, and decorate his office in rainbow flags to make it more obvious for you? Would that be enough of a stereotype to appease you people? Or what? Please tell me. I’d like to know how you think a gay character is supposed to be portrayed.
And did you miss the Grindelwald chapters in the ‘actual books’? Or was that also not obvious enough for you? Did Dumbledore need to whisper “always” wistfully in order for you to connect that he had romantic feelings for Grindelwald? Maybe you are American and need them to gaze longingly into each others eyes with awkward close ups of their fingers almost grazing each other that Hollywood thinks means ‘true love’.
It didn’t fit into his relationship to Harry to ever say “I’m gay”, and so it was not stated explicitly (you might have noticed the book was told from Harry Potter’s perspective).
The point is though, that he is a homosexual, well respected, powerful, and very loved wizard- and his sexuality doesn’t matter because no one else thinks it matters. a.k.a. no one care that he loves men, and that is wonderful.
I would have actually preferred it if, you know, she hadn’t phrased it as “being gay and then turning asexual.”
I would have liked it if the gayness was treated as fact, as if it wasn’t anything to hide, and like there were other HAPPY, GAY relationships.
I would have also liked it if people didn’t assume that “gay” is equated with “Campy fabulosity.”
I didn’t miss the Grindelwald chapters in the book, but I think it was far too easy for homophobic fans to say things like, “it was just friendship, stop reading too much into it, you are wrong, WRONG WRONG!”
I think, actually, that I would have wanted a gay relationship of the same descriptive caliber as say, Ron and Hermione. or Harry and Ginny. Or even of the same caliber as Dumbledore’s relationship with his sister.
I would have wanted perfectly equal treatment without the possibility of denial.
- slavelaborelf reblogged this from captainist
- fearless-independent-original reblogged this from 525600minutesofdefyinggravity and added:
- defiantly-a-madman-with-a-box reblogged this from tackenhowel
- not-miss-toast reblogged this from edwardthesnail
- danii-rin reblogged this from thefansknowthepainbest
- thefansknowthepainbest reblogged this from feel-the-things
- edwardthesnail reblogged this from miss---kimberly
- wholockincamelot reblogged this from rragnaroks
- itmightbeshawn likes this
- callmeeliz reblogged this from righteouspumpernickel
- jenn-at-a-glance reblogged this from pretty-odd-whovian
- stargazing-inthetardis likes this
- alicewhy reblogged this from ma-cherie-je-tadore
- damuhn18 reblogged this from inferoh
- damuhn18 likes this
- decaf-free reblogged this from katnissyouarethemockingjay
- creatingme3113 likes this
- dysfuck likes this
- magicalmoron reblogged this from aikamotz
- magicalmoron likes this
- teghan9559 reblogged this from christmascheerforfandoms
- toxicbombher reblogged this from consultinglaufeyson
- christmascheerforfandoms reblogged this from little-red-riding-cock
- christmascheerforfandoms likes this
- ma-cherie-je-tadore reblogged this from beginningtolookalotlikegaylove
- folkerrare likes this
- little-red-riding-cock reblogged this from consultinglaufeyson
- sharanei reblogged this from iamsavingrockandroll
- beginningtolookalotlikegaylove reblogged this from pleasedontkillthenext
- scaav reblogged this from jacks-halfeaten-burrito
- scaav likes this
- lifeasaguardie likes this
- justabunchofrandomfandoms likes this
- ravedragon likes this
- consultinglaufeyson reblogged this from spocksdeadmother
- acciosammydean reblogged this from captainist
- consultinglaufeyson likes this
- spocksdeadmother reblogged this from captainist
- jacks-halfeaten-burrito reblogged this from thesupernatural-moose
- iamsavingrockandroll reblogged this from pleasedontkillthenext
- aikamotz reblogged this from de-wait-for-it-nied
- startcrappingmargaritas reblogged this from angelwithwormstache
- dumpster-dan reblogged this from savrfangs-laugh
- too---many---fandoms likes this
- howcaniescapethislabyrinth reblogged this from holytardisofgallifreyimawkward
- holytardisofgallifreyimawkward reblogged this from mysoulfromoutthatshadow
- fred-erick reblogged this from feel-the-things
- fred-erick likes this