Without realizing that:
1. Being a successful pop musician, a la Britney Spears, has about the odds of winning the lottery. And it takes a hell of a lot of work.
2. All successful pop singers take music lessons. As in, singing lessons. As in, they probably know way more about singing and music and chord structure than you ever will. Particularly if you are the type of hipster that “rebels against learning music theory, because it’s more important to just feel the music, you know?”
3. Writing a number one pop hit? really fucking hard. Know why? because it’s not necessarily formulaic. Sure, you can complain about “omg all songs have the same 4 chords!” and how it’s all “mindless drivel,” but if that were true, EVERYBODY WOULD BE A POP STAR BECAUSE IT WOULD BE TOO EASY. In reality, writing a catchy song is just as hard (if not harder) than writing the newest “critically acclaimed” indie underground album. Particularly because, let’s face it, do you really think that the Decemberists or Neutral Milk Hotel actually use more chords than, say, the song “Genie in a Bottle”? Hint: Probably not.
4. Also, consider the fact that a lot of rap songs actually do a ton of cool sampling and innovative shit involving horns and classical instruments. Also consider the fact that you will probably never be able to hit a dog whistle type note like Mariah Carey.
5. In the end, bitching about how mindless and uncreative the music industry is, is just a sad attempt to criticize an industry is actually hugely competitive and fueled by what people like.
….And, as we all know YOU know from high school…it’s really hard being popular, isn’t it?
Maybe you should think about why you hate pop musicians and song writers.
…Is it because they’ve figured out how to get people to like them, and you’re attempting to be edgy by being racist, ignorant, and dismissive?
…but maybe I’m just over analyzing here.
- incessantlylosingmyway reblogged this from lightspeedsound
- im-just-that-utter-fabulous likes this
- nikkistagram likes this
- rinne-kun reblogged this from kingjaffejoffer
- adamangasaurus reblogged this from cutestfatty
- bluebirdsofhappyness reblogged this from cutestfatty
- wolfpangs likes this
- catholicaramis likes this
- y-en likes this
- bamfiest reblogged this from cwnerd12
- polarbear1986 reblogged this from lightspeedsound and added:
- punkerbella likes this
- rebeccapink reblogged this from cwnerd12 and added:
- sultan-of-sand reblogged this from mightythorchuckle and added:
- spacucumber likes this
- mightythorchuckle reblogged this from orbitingasupernova
- theveganslut reblogged this from lilamedusa
- colormegreyy likes this
- amber-is-bambi likes this
- moviesandmemories reblogged this from cwnerd12 and added:
- oh-so-pleasant likes this
- ataritastic reblogged this from cwnerd12
- marc-jcubs likes this
- 8thwonderontheway likes this
- cicaklah likes this
- sarahelise219 reblogged this from tree-called-life
- hellagolightly reblogged this from elvesarebad
- tree-called-life reblogged this from lightspeedsound
- littlesoulsister reblogged this from nerdpoet
- evilchic reblogged this from cwnerd12
- eris21 likes this
- wildiriss reblogged this from cwnerd12
- shewaschurningbutter reblogged this from nerdpoet
- thenotsocharmedlife reblogged this from cwnerd12
- sentencedforbeingtimeless likes this
- awesome-everyday likes this
- cwnerd12 reblogged this from nerdpoet
- akelles reblogged this from nerdpoet
- nerdpoet reblogged this from orobolicious
- orobolicious reblogged this from alwaystheoviereya
- arulpragasams likes this
- rulu likes this
- elvesarebad reblogged this from someothermonstra
- sweetpolynesiansauce reblogged this from kingjaffejoffer
- dalchan likes this
- puddeneen likes this
- createthesun reblogged this from waitinglikeafactoryline
- rubythe3rd reblogged this from zorascreation
- cliomoto likes this
- domesticatedlions likes this