I mean, really.
I am so tired of the “high art” and “low art” mentality when it comes to reading. People are READING. That alone is a victory to me. I mean, I am a PhD student in English and I fucking LOVED the Hunger Games. Yes, I read the classics. Are they relevant? Maybe. Remember Shakespeare was written for the masses and was the equivalence of SOAP OPERAS. Are the classics enjoyable? For some, but not for me. If I can enjoy something and see the influences of the classics, that’s awesome. If it can stand on its own, then more fucking power to it as a piece of literature.
Reblogging for commentary. Honestly. Shakespeare was like 78% dick jokes. And Wilde would think you’re an idiot. The end.
Commentary for the win.
Shakespeare routinely made up his own words and was something for the commoners too. Or did you forget all the weirdly awkward fools interludes that involve codpieces and mammary puns?
Jane Austen was considered romance novels, back in the day.
Oscar Wilde wrote about gay sex. And more gay sex. And more gay sex. And everybody was like, “Oh my god this is such sleazy gay sex.”
I’m pretty sure, 50 years from now, people are going to be comparing The Hunger Games to 1984 and they’re going to put it in a comparative lit class with Roman Lit and mythology.
Harry Potter is already being study in college classes. I know people who have written theses on it.
You want to read something REALLY badly written? Something featuring Long winded, run on sentences about Hell, featuring an emo protagonist who can’t shut up about how evil he is?
…No, not Edward Cullen. Lucifer, from Paradise Lost.
Suck it, elitist bitches.
- jackdaws-pocketbook likes this
- asexualslut likes this
- accountant-in-a-can likes this
- thank-you-queen-rowling likes this
- kayomielatoro reblogged this from dramalibrarian
- dramalibrarian reblogged this from crowfoot
- crowfoot reblogged this from radioactivesoup
- radioactivesoup reblogged this from andnotcomeflounderingout
- mirave likes this
- packleader reblogged this from yourdarkguardian
- yourdarkguardian reblogged this from knellers-happycamper
- knellers-happycamper reblogged this from inkstainedchocolateeyes
- inkstainedchocolateeyes reblogged this from akafoxxcub
- sparklyhowitzer likes this
- daenerys-b3tch likes this
- garrisoned reblogged this from exorcizamoose
- thewhatmanifesto reblogged this from crotchgunsamurai
- maybe-youremy-snowflake likes this
- witchofuncreativity reblogged this from diademofrandomosity
- witchofuncreativity likes this
- silhouettesofhilarity reblogged this from diademofrandomosity
- somekarneval likes this
- shigure-soen likes this
- silhouettesofhilarity likes this
- diademofrandomosity reblogged this from thoughttrainderailed
- diademofrandomosity likes this
- thoughttrainderailed reblogged this from japhers and added:
- inaneoctopus reblogged this from caffeinatedqueer
- lil-ol-gideon likes this
- frauleindrosselmeyer likes this
- notshaking-thegrass reblogged this from poundforpoundcake and added:
- extremesmartpaws likes this
- hoomanao reblogged this from theliterarysnob and added:
- purpleoyster likes this
- heirtotheironthrone reblogged this from fangirl-over-all-of-the-things
- almostmuse likes this
- thefrozenhedgehog reblogged this from shakendust
- kaiabellanca likes this
- meandmypetssubmissions reblogged this from leading-her
- capitol-of-nj reblogged this from grassandcitrus and added:
- meredithacook reblogged this from neverwhere-shesays-sheis and added:
- sininseattle likes this
- jlrobinson reblogged this from iherebytherapizeyou and added:
- lizziehopscotch reblogged this from sokorra
- morgansdead likes this
- kpossibles likes this
- cinematicnomad reblogged this from sokorra
- sokorra reblogged this from morgansdead and added:
- morgansdead reblogged this from trulydeeplysecretly and added: